Forum

need help
biggs wrote
at 10:49 PM, Wednesday August 30, 2006 EDT
hey im biggs im not new but im not good i made this thread to tell anyone who is reading this if they can show me some ways i know ive been here long enough to figure it out but i have other things to do so can anyone teach me how to make some more wins and few losses

Replies 1 - 7 of 7
Ryan wrote
at 11:29 PM, Wednesday August 30, 2006 EDT
1) Fold more hands.
2) take a look at the top pocket cards under poker tips at the top. Only play ther first few rows in early position(close to the blinds), and a bit more in late position, (close to the dealer).
3) Pay attention to how people bet and try to understand why they bet that way. Remember how the bet and if they show their cards figure out why they bet that way. Then use that in future hands.
Ryan wrote
at 11:33 PM, Wednesday August 30, 2006 EDT
4) When deciding to bet/call think about the odds of hitting a big hand. Calculate your "outs" - the number of cards left in the deck that will give you a big hand. For example if you have 4 cards to a straight 4567, you have 8 outs to a straight, 4 8s and 4 3s. If there are 40 cards left in the deck your odds of hitting the hand are 8/40 which is almost 25%.
Ryan wrote
at 11:37 PM, Wednesday August 30, 2006 EDT
5) The size of the pot relative to someones bet is important when calling. Someone betting $200 on a $200 pot is much different than $200 on a $1000 pot. In the first case you have to put $200 for a payout of $600 where in the second case you have to put down $200 for a payout of $1400. If you combine this logic with your odds of winning or hitting a big hand you can calculate if its profitable to call.
biggs wrote
at 11:48 PM, Wednesday August 30, 2006 EDT
anymore ideas
gratjim wrote
at 1:01 AM, Thursday August 31, 2006 EDT
well... applying ALL these 5 rules is enough to play well and avoid refills. Then, you also need a little luck ;)

Note: the #2 is a good one, but not very applied here (probably because fake money)
Ryan wrote
at 11:29 AM, Thursday August 31, 2006 EDT
#1 is important with full tables. You should not be playing many hands.... you should maybe see a flop once or twice every round.

With smaller tables, (2-5) you should play more hands
paradox wrote
at 2:36 PM, Thursday August 31, 2006 EDT
I think that rule n1 is really important. There is no such thing as being pot commited. You should fold if you don't think you're going to win. Also, try to mix up your game a bit. Change your betting patterns, so that it's harder for your opponents to figure it out. They are more likely to make mistakes.
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary