Forum

As a beginner...
El Brujo wrote
at 12:10 PM, Tuesday January 29, 2008 EST
I have been using gpokr to have fun and learn the fundamentals of No Limit Texas Hold'em.

It is a very enjoyable and often social event.

As my game improves I would like to play for cash more often.

However....

I suspect that due to the nature of gpokr i.e. lots of beginners and free chips, that it creates a non realistic poker environment that would actually be detrimental to the development of one's game.

Grateful for any genuine comments.

: )

Replies 1 - 5 of 5
cAPSLOCK wrote
at 2:57 PM, Tuesday January 29, 2008 EST
In the generalizations and mechanics gpokr is exactly like money poker or any other hold'em game. It is a fine way to quickly get thousands of hands under your belt and learn the way the game works.

In subtleties, however, gpoker is as unlike 'real' poker as blackjack is.

The problem is that your edge lives in the subtleties.

IOW, the way you play HERE is different enough than the way you would play elsewhere that you'd lose your ass pretty quickly without changing your playstyle dramatically.

That being said... I am no expert either, but one thing i have learned over the time I have played is you must lean to adjust and play the style that will win you chips at the table you are at.

Even here one table will be different than another. One online playmoney site is different than another, internet money games, home 'for fun' games, real live cash games.. etc. all different - subtly.

Even the way the game works must change th way you play. Gpokr is a month long playmoney tourney played in ring game style at multiple fixed blinds.

Th WSOP is a COMPLETELY different game. Real money, lasts only days, better players, rising blinds, etc...

So you have to adjust based on many factors that are diferent here.

The main difference here is the play is extremely loose with more people in each hand longer than average. You will need to adjust to a much stronger tighter and agressive style in bigger real money games... micro games (penny blinds) might feel a little like this though.

Sorry to ramble... but those are some thoughts.
MB9854 wrote
at 3:01 PM, Tuesday January 29, 2008 EST
CapsLoc do you really think gpokr isn't set up to make it more fun? For example, how many hands a day do you see someone chase their flush and hit 90% of the time? As well as straights such as.. flop: 567 turn: 8 river.. exc. You know what I'm saying though?
El Brujo wrote
at 3:33 PM, Tuesday January 29, 2008 EST
cAPSLOCK, thanks a lot man : )
cAPSLOCK wrote
at 3:37 PM, Tuesday January 29, 2008 EST
I will go out on a limb and state that no I do not think gpokr is "set up" to be more fun.

My experience with chasing flushes here pretty much line up with reality. I see them ht about a third of the time wheni need one card after the flop.

I *do* notice a few oddities with 'randomness' in the cards dealt... but I don't think these oddities affect play very much.

IMHO looking for 'unfair' coincidences is mostly tempting when your cards are cold.
Amoos wrote
at 12:59 AM, Wednesday January 30, 2008 EST
You should write a book Caps :)
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary