Forum

Refill Rule
annat wrote
at 7:04 PM, Friday May 2, 2008 EDT
My thoughts, It seems that general idea of the refill rule was a good one. However, we must think of the number reason of the implementation of this rule, To support better poker playing.

I feel that this rule is not working as the people that this was too be targeted (All-inners, every hand) have only created more accounts than previous. Therefore, bypassing this rule. For example, I played for about 20 mins at one table and noticed the same player with numerous accounts who which admitted that they created 1300+ accounts. You might ask how I knew it was the same person and I answer that each time sitting in, they would state "all in next hand bastards". Each and EVERY time. So by the time they even get through half of those accounts, time is up on the first.

I am not a genius, but know that there are programs out there that block or disguise your IP address.

Is there a way to:
#1 Keep the refill rule - As I do believe that it promotes better poker playing.
#2 Limit the amount of accounts that one IP can have.
#3 Have this site require a verified IP address.

I love this site and am not complaining in ANY way.

Replies 1 - 10 of 20 Next › Last »
annat wrote
at 8:14 PM, Friday May 2, 2008 EDT
Not really sure. Hmm, so possible that it isn't working. I know it was a few days ago.

Maybe...now that I really think about it...this person that I was referring to does have an IP blocker.
brocky000 wrote
at 8:22 PM, Friday May 2, 2008 EDT
You just need to use a proxy.
myerlyn wrote
at 8:36 PM, Friday May 2, 2008 EDT
In the time Ive been playing on this site and from what Ive said and observed it helps and changes the top 100 from month to month as I see its doing.
MB311 wrote
at 8:54 PM, Friday May 2, 2008 EDT
The first thing I want to establish is why I play gpokr to begin with. It is because I am at home bored in between school and work. I'm not trying to be a good poker player. I have a habit of going all in a lot just to get out of the small tables and I also made a second account to go back and forth on. I do have something productive to say though. Last month it seemed the account transfer was pointless because I soon figured out it was the IP address that had to wait ten minutes regardless of the name. I started being a lot more patient in the small tables and everyone else seemed to be too. Until their ten minutes was up of course.

Another thing though is even when I am being patient I can only play the hands I am willing to go all in. Otherwise to see the turn or river you're getting out-bet by the people who come in with 5K. So. Ultimately the all ins will never stop because there really isn't anything on the line stopping anyone from doing it.
annat wrote
at 8:50 AM, Sunday May 4, 2008 EDT
Can we hear about the Refill Rule? I have noticed on the forum that I am not the only one that has witnessed that it is not working. Maybe its out there, but haven't seen it.

- I know that this will never stop anyone from going all in from time to time, but every and all hand and account. Yes I think that will stop and force people to #1 wait 10 mins after going all in on a 7 2. :) #2 play their hand.

I am not here to be the WSOP champ by any means. Mostly, to have fun, chat with the friends I have made and most of all to play poker. However, at a full table and you have a decent hand and 3 people have gone all in on what I could call a crappy hand, you are forced to the the same as the odds are in your favor for the most part...then they hit and next hand go all in with 3+ times the amount they had at the beginning. Is this good poker playing? In my book, No! It is very frustrating to people that ARE trying to play good poker to get off the small tables.

Also, I know that most people want to get off the small tables, but sometimes you want a break from the "big" tables and enjoy some chat and small pots. So making limits to where you can play if you are in 50th or 1000th place doesn't work either.
Re-volution wrote
at 9:24 AM, Sunday May 4, 2008 EDT
You don't create great games with your kids' pocket money. You need site traffic and advertising revenue.

Site traffic dropped markedly with the refill rule.The same will be true of almost any "rules". Ergo, less rules creates a better site and new games for all of us.
annat wrote
at 9:42 AM, Sunday May 4, 2008 EDT
I understand site traffic. However, I wonder if it would be better to have rules in place to make it an enjoyable place for everyone? When new people create accts, do they see these rules. I don't. Will everyone learn to respect these rules? Maybe not all, but I would think the majority would either become a member for all of $10 for 3 months (kids' pocket money or not) so you start out with 25K instead of $1500 OR they start with $1500 OR they leave.

Hmmm, seems to me that it would be in the best interest of the site to promote more memberships and therefore, more revenue to create more games WITH better poker playing.

As to site traffic, I am not sure how you know that the traffic has dropped, but can say that I have told several people about GPokr and they have created accts and some have memberships.

Please keep in mind that these are my thoughts. I am not trying to persuade my anyone into anything.
annat wrote
at 9:54 AM, Sunday May 4, 2008 EDT
I may not be correct on the amount of a membership....can't remember. :)
Re-volution wrote
at 10:44 AM, Sunday May 4, 2008 EDT
This site isn't just for the poker purists. I have 3 member accounts , so I can play that type of poker on the 200 tables or above. Fine, thats Ryan's stated rationale for membership.

Equally , I love the anarchy of the "1500" tables, and win there.

I guess it depends what mood you're in.

I'd hate to see more rules, it would be boring to be restricted to one style of play.
Calla wrote
at 11:35 AM, Sunday May 4, 2008 EDT
I think what Ryan did is already adequate.

"However, I wonder if it would be better to have rules in place to make it an enjoyable place for everyone?" --> It won't be an enjoyable place for the people who want to go all in :)

Even if they respect it or not, if they have 1 I.P. and just refilled, they have to wait 10 minutes, unless their other accounts don't need to be refilled or they found a way to go around it. I think that's the reason why it seems like the rule isn't working, possibly because the other accounts they log on to don't need refilling.

"Hmmm, seems to me that it would be in the best interest of the site to promote more memberships and therefore, more revenue to create more games WITH better poker playing." --> Membership is good for it will support Ryan but I think that this site is also made to be enjoyed for free, only if you want "additional perks" will you pay for membership. It's been free for a long time already.

We all don't have to be "by the book" or "by the rules" there needs to be flexibility, and poker involves luck! Even if you've got AA ... doesn't guarantee you of winning, if someone calls you with 7/2 and flop is 227, it's all part of the game. It's not poker if only best/good hands are allowed to be played.

"I know that this will never stop anyone from going all in from time to time, but every and all hand and account. Yes I think that will stop and force people to #1 wait 10 mins after going all in on a 7 2. :) #2 play their hand."
--> This is what makes them happy :) they're already considered "playing" the moment they sit in the table, if they go all in with crap cards is their decision, so let them be and just do your best. It's also the advantage of the "members" they get 25,000 so that they could start at the next higher tables away from the 50/100 tables, but it's their call with what they want to do with it.

"Is this good poker playing? In my book, No! It is very frustrating to people that ARE trying to play good poker to get off the small tables." --> Not everyone follows the book. It won't be fun if everyone follows the same book.

Allow me to reiterate the description for the membership "Instead of starting slow, playing with many newer players, you start every month with $25000. You also get some extra charts on your profile."
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary