Forum

Chip transfers
JulesDogg wrote
at 12:45 PM, Saturday May 24, 2008 EDT
It has been made clear that boosting, loaning and giving chips is outside the rules. Players have had all their chips taken by 'the management' for this practice.

However, the transfer of chips to and from accounts belonging to same person is not against the rules as far as I know.

Many players do this, some feel it's ok and others don't. But regardless of opinions it is not against the rules and therefore not cheating.

Many, if not most, players have more than one account. They can only play one at a time and therefore whatever chips they accumulate have been won over the tables fair and square.

« First ‹ Previous Replies 11 - 20 of 21 Next › Last »
Ryan wrote
at 6:44 PM, Saturday May 24, 2008 EDT
Jules, Rob is right here. It may not seem to be a natural rule of Poker but it is an ethical rule of the monthly GPokr competitions. The comparison to a real poker tournament is a good one. You can't go in with a team of people and pool your chips near the end. Even if you could enroll in a tournament more than once they wouldn't let you pool your chips for obvious reasons.

If you're going to play with two accounts, thats fine. You have earned money for each player. However, part of GPokr is social and knowing who you are playing. If someone has a large bank roll it should be public knowledge. Not disclosing this in the hands you play is dishonest to the spirit of the competition. If your intent is to pool the money together/loan you are bypassing the way the competition is meant to work and therefore it is a rule not to do this.

Moderators can't enforce this rule but many report this type of loan to me and I usually take action with a large chip penalty. I will become even more strict with this once I have an official rules page up.
Ryan wrote
at 6:52 PM, Saturday May 24, 2008 EDT
To answer sheriffskullface:

Your type of transfer is still a little bad since your new account will pop up with a large sum of money quickly. Consider if every top player did this at the end of the month. It would be quite confusing, and you would have no idea about how the top players played and it would be harder to compete.

I can see this not being a big issue if you're not a top player since there are quite a lot of players on the lower tables and you can't track all player styles anyway. However, if I'm going to enforce this rule for top players then I should do it for all players - and I don't think its a huge loss for players to not be able to transfer. There really is no need.
Rabid Womble wrote
at 7:40 PM, Saturday May 24, 2008 EDT
To be fair I think duckmandrake (sheriff) wants to transfer so he has his medals on 1 account I think it is unfair that he didnt know that transferring wasnt allowed and now wont be allowed to move his chips across. Even Jules a moderator and long time player knew nothing of the transfer rules.
Ryan wrote
at 9:17 PM, Saturday May 24, 2008 EDT
Good point. Send me an email (address on my blog) with the request and I'll do it manually.
Re-volution wrote
at 2:46 AM, Sunday May 25, 2008 EDT
Ryan,
Please concentrate on your technology -we still have lag and other glitches.

This ad hoc fiddling with rules or guidelines is unproductive.

Youve already halved the amount of chips in circulation, judging by expected results this month

You've asked for ideas to increase traffic. Why then take further steps to reduce it?
Shark wrote
at 5:32 AM, Sunday May 25, 2008 EDT
Happy to hear that Jules so i can transfer to Shark from dew!
Shark wrote
at 5:37 AM, Sunday May 25, 2008 EDT
Am i allowed to transfer at the end of the month to Shark alone (with my brothers help) or should i let you do it Ryan?
For the time i started playing also in the Shark account...
StevenL wrote
at 7:21 AM, Sunday May 25, 2008 EDT
did you not read Shark? did you not read what Ryan said? He is against transfering. He even said that Jules was wrong.
""ENGLAND"" wrote
at 10:36 AM, Sunday May 25, 2008 EDT
As we all know some accounts blow hot others cold if you have 650,000 in one account and 350,000 in another, if you combine them together to win a medle i think this is what people have a problem with........all though you have won it fair and square through refil blood idiots and noobs they still dont like the idea of combining accounts, personelly it doesnt bother me if your good enough to earn 1 million then you will medle if not you wont!
dew wrote
at 10:59 AM, Sunday May 25, 2008 EDT
I won all my money on Dew England, Steven please just go refill, i am bored of you.
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary