Forum

call or fold
Rattus wrote
at 10:55 AM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
Freezeout Tournament:

6 players remain, average stack is 8200, I have 9500, blinds are 400/800, top 3 get paid.

I am in the small blind and everyone folds round to me. I look down at J9 and I raise to 1600, the big blind shoves. The pot is now 5500 and it is another 2300 for me to call.

I've put him on overcards like AK, AQ even AT he could also have a hand like KQs or any pair.

Should I call the remaining 2300 or fold?

Replies 1 - 10 of 12 Next › Last »
71181 wrote
at 11:24 AM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
who gives a fuck!!!
Rattus wrote
at 11:38 AM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
711, If you don't have anything useful to add then fuck off.

Any USEFUL comments appreciated : )
71181 wrote
at 12:28 PM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
ratt alls u do is post bs on here, an the more worrying part is ur shit!!!! so take ur bs posts somewere else!!!!
Roddy wrote
at 1:37 PM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
I think that the min raise was a weak play, particularly if you are now going to fold. In my mind you have 3 choices here when everyone else folds round to you

a) Fold
b) Call/fold
c) All In

Reasons.......

a) Your above average stack and will remain above average stack, keep your doe and wait for a better spot

b) J/9 (off suit i presume) is not a great hand a this stage but not dreadful and maybe worth a cheap look at the flop. If your opponent raises you can fold and still be on average stack

c) Standard aggressive small blind steal, this move will put him on the spot for his tournament life. Chance's are he has nothing much in the big blind and will fold, if not you have him covered

I think at this stage in a tourney i would value my chips and just fold you will get better cards or better spots to play, you have to consider your short stacked opponent is gonna be looking to get his chips in and double up and you dont want to be messing around with j/9.
Luvs Ya All wrote
at 3:20 PM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
Personally I would have folded my small blind with J9. If suited and lowest stack with suited may risk all in but in this situation fold.
Rattus wrote
at 4:25 PM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
Hey Roddy, thanks for the reply.

My thinking was this;
The whole table has folded, I'll steal the big blind.

The villain shoves all in. Ok, the steal didn't work this time, do I call or fold.

The pot is 5500 and it's 2300 to call. I'm getting 2.4 to 1 to if I call.

I put him on a hand like AK, AQ. If I'm right I'm getting odds of 1.5 to 1.

2.4:1 pot odds 1.5:1 win odds, even though I feel sure that I'm behind I'll still win the pot about 40% of the time and the pot odds say MUST CALL, the only consideration then was the state of my stack if I lost. I figure that my stack is still decent enough to call and lose and have enough to fight on.

I called and he showed AQs making it 64% to 36% or 1.8:1. His hand held and I lost that one.

Thing is I still think it was mathematically correct to call it, the pot odds, the win odds (if my read is reasonable close) and my stack.

Your thoughts?

[Btw, I know the min raise seems week, but i played the guy to my left many times and know him to be tight and fold readily to a min raise in that postion]
Jaguar531 wrote
at 6:31 PM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
Even if you have j 9 suited it's only a 3% advantage. But when the table is short handed isn't any 2 card's good enough to call and play to see a flop?
Roddy wrote
at 6:40 PM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
I think as you made the min raise you probably were priced in, even though you know you were beat, you mentioned you knew the guy would readily fold to a min raise so when he went all in you maybe should of known better.
You need to think about it this way you spent 3900 trying to steal 800 with j/9 and ended up doubling up the small stack and near crippling yourself, had you folded you were an above average stack, you just passed through the blinds, only 3 to go out till you get paid things would of been looking rosy.
Rattus wrote
at 10:55 AM, Saturday March 20, 2010 EDT
I take your point Roddy, I tried to steal and lost a lot of chips. Once the steal had gone wrong it might have been better to fold regardless of being priced in.

As luck would have it I doubled up a few hands later when I shoved in late position with A9 and got called by 55. A few hands after that I doubled again when my TT survived against AQ. Eventually I got heads up and won the tourney when my opponent raised and I shoved with AK, he called with ATs and it was all over.

The toughest decision of the tourney was whether to call or fold with the J9 and I still don't know whether it was the right or wrong thing to do :/
GPorker wrote
at 3:06 PM, Saturday March 20, 2010 EDT
The correct play is to move all in, then if the BB calls you would flop at least 2 Js with a 9 coming on the river. Everyone knows that noobism is rewarded in this game.
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary