Forum

call or fold
Rattus wrote
at 10:55 AM, Friday March 19, 2010 EDT
Freezeout Tournament:

6 players remain, average stack is 8200, I have 9500, blinds are 400/800, top 3 get paid.

I am in the small blind and everyone folds round to me. I look down at J9 and I raise to 1600, the big blind shoves. The pot is now 5500 and it is another 2300 for me to call.

I've put him on overcards like AK, AQ even AT he could also have a hand like KQs or any pair.

Should I call the remaining 2300 or fold?

« First ‹ Previous Replies 11 - 12 of 12
Rockefeller wrote
at 3:30 PM, Sunday March 21, 2010 EDT
Minimum raise is weak. It should be done only if you have a really good hand and want to offer better odds to others to call. Those odds you calculated put you at a 60% chance at losing 3/7th your stack at that stage in the tournament
especially considering you still have about 6 big blinds covered it would be sensible to fold.
Rattus wrote
at 12:13 PM, Monday March 22, 2010 EDT
Rockerfeller, the more I think about the more I think you're right. My opponent would've folded to a min raise 75% of the time, I've played against him a lot and he does have a tendancy to give up his blinds very easily so I didn't mind the weak raise in this particular case.

It was the call or fold that really quizzed me. Stack sizes are the most important thing here and that's why I think you're right and I should've laid it down.

It's all a learning curve and I appreciate your comment : )
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary